Friday 26 November 2010

Typefaces.

Today, I got some help from a couple of the graphic designers amongst my year! I was asking for help in how to go about choosing a type. I got onto this site... FONT SQUIRRAL
Which is amazing and has more typefaces than you could ever imagine...



They also mentioned a really good book to look at which I got out of the library:

It tackled this idea of corporate identity and it's logotype. But with no rules, so anything goes. It talks of young entrepreneurs and the contemporary designs of society today which need cometitive logos to go with them. The book identifies 10 key 'rules' of logo design, such as 'keep it simple' and 'make a mark which is unchanging'.


Tips the graphic designers amongst our class gave me were...
- Do it in illustrator, repeat the word in different type faces
- Always think about what size you're going to be using it and the spacing between the letters
- Always print it out to see how it will look at the correct size
- Take into concideration how you are going to apply it. If engraving think about how slim some serifs are.

Also I've been looking at Paul's work as he mainly has worked in 50's typefaces with his ' ' posters around the city. I've been looking at his blog and taken some inspiration from the types he's been using...also from his screenprinting work and like the layered effect he has which is scrrenprinted which gives depth and a 3D feel to the work. Then I though about how the laser cutter enables you to engrave/kiss cut/cut through and raster, which I could combine to get this 3D feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment