Wednesday 10 November 2010

Sara Fanelli...& Type.


A book I've had in my room or a while now is: 'Sometimes I think Sometimes I am' by illustrator Sara Fanelli, this is one of my favourite illustrators and I'm pleased I managed to dig it out after all this time. Looking through it again the handwritten type within it really stands out, this is what I feel weakest in producing and I think that hand-drawn type is important in my supporting my illustration style...

I decided to start my type research through using my trusty paint brush as this is what I have been using to make images over the last couple of weeks and it's beginning to feel a little more familiar, however the lack of control I have with a paint brush is good to just easily/loosely create type and see the type as just shapes.
I started with just writing the name of objects that I was drawing as practice, and to gain more control and learn how to control the paintbrush and ink more I have been copying letter forms from old World War II photos/sinage:

No comments:

Post a Comment