Wednesday 10 November 2010

CRIT.

Today was interesting and made me really think about where I am in this project. It's seemed more and more important in every brief to step back from it all and just think and look at what you have, or discuss it in detail with others. From this I gain lots of realisation and can then give myself a long list of things to do next and also realisations of things which need to be rendered or re-thought...but I've learnt over the last few weeks, this is how you make progress!

One thing I definitely took away was this idea of simply defining myself as a professional/professionally... At this moment in time I am an illustrator/print design/jeweler! I think with the way I presented my range of things I've done for this brief others were confused about how I saw my practice. When I go back through my whole process of putting brooches together though, it is important to remember, that even though this jewelry is taking off, all my work for those comes from paintings that I have done and illustration that I have put together, so I guess my main professionalism is Illustration.

Illustration will always be at the core of all my work, I will always be working a sketchbook and pulling together bits and bobs from paintings and drawings I do...It is just easy to loose this idea of 'me' and my style to be lost through digitally producing work down the line from illustrations to the laser cutter.

I'm going to en devour to really key into this idea of loosing myself/style in the laser cutter and try and keep it as mine and see how these are received by my customers.
Maybe painting and putting it straight into the laser cutter seeing what different effects I get from this even rawer style of image.

TO DO:
- Explore this 'meaning' of 'vintage' - What is vintage? To me?
- More more more, painting drawing of vintage perfume bottles, cardigans, spoons...etc.
- Refine these not a lot on illustrator work, put them to the laser cutter - see what happens
- Reproduce the popular images for the shop - 'My Mother said I should never' and other orders.
- Start to put posters together
- Practice type...
- Put designs together for brooches to sit on...print different ones and try them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment