Wednesday 27 October 2010

Wood.


Went and spoke to Matt, down in the woodwork department today. I wanted to book the laser cutter for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of next week, but also to ask him a few questions, we spoke for a while, about what kinds of wood are good to make jewelry from and where to get it from. He said I could use various off-cuts which they had already, as my jewelry pieces would be small, and I think we came to the decision that I'm going to try different kinds of wood. I'm going in on Monday to prepare the wood, I need to get it to the thickness I want and sand it all down.
From speaking to Matt, I've chosen to use a thickness of 4mm, as any thinner and the wood may warp with the heat when the laser cutter is on it - any thicker and it will be a hefty brooch, where as I want them to be elegant and light! As I'm using off-cuts aswell, its free, what a bargain, 0 spent on materials!
It seems at the moment I will just need to pay for the brooch backs which I will buy on Monday from the Merrion art market.

From artists I've been looking at, that use wood in their work, I want to rasterise (when the laser kind of scratches away at the surface in straight lines), some bits of the image. This means I need to produce 2 laser cutting files, one saved as a jpeg and one as paths, Matt explained how to do it, and said it's very important that both images are the same size, so they allign properly when cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment