Saturday 23 October 2010

Tina Berning...

I came across this artists work on a blog -
A major influence in the painting I've been doing over the last week has been Tina Berning. A german painter/illustrator. One exhibition and body of work she's done is: '100 girls on cheap paper'. As well as the beautiful paints strokes and the way she works with the ink to create shadows and 'form' a body shape, I also love the concept, of 100 paintings of girls and this idea of painting them on loads of cheap paper. It communicates this idea of simplicity and also the ink sits so nicely and differently on each bit of paper.
This is what I've been trying to do through my image making, keeping simplicity with the movements of the ink, but also this idea of clearly seeing what the image and giving the work/person a personality and some sort of feeling.
From these images and also from painting from reference in the illustration workshop matt gave us, it's rekindled my love for old photographs and the style and appearance of the 1950's woman!
I've begun to look into these images and draw from them, to generate some ideas for jewelry I want to make and prints also...

The silouette is also something that intrigues me, so much detail in such a simple 'cut/drawing' of a simple outline created by light. I might try to create my own silouettes but, I want to capture the 1050's woman through this technique.

The 'look' of a 1950's women is also that of a very recognisable body shape, pronounced more by the clothes they wore...body image is what I've been concentrating on and this seems like a natural step forward, as the body image will be key in producing 'pretty' and recognisable jewelry. Also looking at female body image today was beginning to grate on me a bit...

So now I've been looking at as many vintage fashion and beauty blogs as I can! The one below, is particularly good and I have been using lots of it as reference material:

No comments:

Post a Comment