Monday 11 October 2010

Planning for my 'residency'

As saturday the 16th fast approaches I'm trying to loosely plan some work to do whilst I'm there, there is a possibility that I could be just collaborating with the other artists there, but I won't know whether people are getting on with their own work, all working under one theme to all produce our own work, or possibly to collaboratively come together with one piece or way of using the shop.

I won't know until I meet these people on saturday, but it can't help to be prepared if everyone decides they all want to do their own thing!

I've set myself a theme: 'Perfection' and started looking into the idea of Lipstick and how it's a strong symbol of 'beauty'''sg'eg''eg'. I've been reading up on the project which Banksy did about the women who were given lipstick in war camps.


In correlation with this idea of 'perfection' - I've decided to go down the same tangent as I have in the work I did last week for Handmade III and want to show this idea of 'going against this idea of perfection' and the 'norm'.
Translating this into the idea of wallpaper, which is normally all perfectly aligned and designed to be perfectly measured with perfect gaps and the repeat pattern being repeated digitally. From this I would take the idea of the 'norm' and instead produce hand drawn wallpapers.

But I've also been thinking of interesting ways to produce the work, or suit the style in which I work. Wallpaper's are normally always digitally produced and printed, I would like to do an embordied repeat pattern or 'cut out' wallpaper.

Plans for this week:
- Gather possible materials to work with:
Long bit of material to hang as wallpaper, in paper/card and also a long bit of fabric to sew into.
Get some nice fabrics together.
- Draw up ideas for my work/possibly something collaborative to take to the group.
- Make little mock ups of ideas...

I'm going to be very busy on Saturday evening, once I've met the people I'm sharing the shop with and then taking all the ideas people had and once decided work out how I'm going to approach it.

No comments:

Post a Comment