Thursday 30 September 2010

The Drawbridge.


When I attended the Paul Davis Lecture back in July, he mentioned that he was the drawing editor of The Drawbridge:
http://www.thedrawbridge.org.uk/ which is an independant quarterly delivering though, wit and reflection through words, photography and drawing. It is said to be: 'critically nonsensical and radically serious'. I had ordered Issue 15, entitled: 'First Love' (Above) and today it arrived!

The Drawbridge takes the form of a full colour newspaper, designed elegantly and in each issue, authors and artists cast an unflinching look at a selected theme and then produced in the magazine are a suprising combination of views and insights/ways of interpretation of that theme. This is what I'm trying to come to terms with in my work at the moment and I want to try and take things which I see, in this magazine it's really interesting to see the different ways in which artists and authors have approached a specific theme. It's helped me to understand different ways in which you can react to things and how to then/how you could reflect this or communicate this in your/my work. I also really like the concept and how simple the idea is, bringing people together to produce their own interpretations of a specific theme and putting it together in a witty, clever and attractive way. I want to look at more collectives coming together to present their views through illustrations...



“A cunning construction of reinforcement and defence, The Drawbridge lives up to its name.”
John Berger

No comments:

Post a Comment