Wednesday 29 September 2010

Craft Fair Ideas.

As well as my 'Air-Berry' prints, I'm thinking of what I could put together in the time I have left for Handmade 3. Last night I made a massive mess in my sketchbook with ideas and thoughts I've had recently.

I've been reading for my dissertation quite a lot recently and am becoming more and more interested with this idea of female body image and the pressure which young women and girls find, face them every day, through media, men and pressure from society in general, to conform to these uncanny norms and values.
I've been looking into this idea of perfection:
...this lead me to think about what's normal and to the old education books...

I've been reading the books for my dissertation and also a really old sexual education book from the 80s, which is a laugh a minute with some funny comments made, which also include ones about weight and the way you look... I've written these down as a possibility in including them in my work.
I've now gone on to look at Doily's but my initial influence for this idea stemmed from a corporate logo I came across whilst looking for interesting ways/things to screenprint onto. It's a corporate logo heart shaped ornament which is up for sale on a site which sells christmas products. It looks pretty (minus the type and stuff in the middle), and I think it looks more precious and pretty than a print just on normal rectangular paper.
At the moment I have an increasing obsession with pattern on and from doilys that I've found around the house from back home, but also I've had a look online and seen some. I'm going to design my own doily pattern from looking at these original doilys and then want to screenprint an image in the middle with some text, in light of this attitude towards the female body.

I'm hoping to get a couple of variations, although with time not on my side, I'm just going to have to go with it. So I've started to draw up some doilys...

No comments:

Post a Comment